Printers are a staple for almost every business, and a costly one. From paper to ink to printers the dollar signs add up quickly with printing supplies. Printer inks can be the most expensive liquid that you buy even pricier than oil and fine champagne. Printing can also take a toll on our environment. The more paper we use, the more trees we cut down. There’s also great energy expenditure with printing. Printers and copiers are some of the most energy intensive machines in the workplace. Energy is required to print the documents and create the paper. If we can use less paper when printing we will decrease the amount of trees we need to cut down and reduce the amount of energy we use for printing and paper creation. Below are some tips to start cutting down on your printing costs and your environmental impact.
- Purchase recycled paper from your paper supplier. Most paper suppliers today have a recycled option.
- Recycle documents when you are finished with it. You could use that paper again (if you print on one side) shred it for packing materials or use it as scrap paper.
- Buy recycled printer cartridges and recycle your printer cartridges when they’re empty.
- Avoid buying replacement printer ink from the name brand companies since they tend charge more. There are a number of OEM-compatible ink manufacturers out there that produce ink of the same high-quality at a fraction of the cost.
- Expand margins on documents. This will help you fit more text on each page so you can print fewer pages.
- Decreasing the font size and spacing will also help you fit more text on each page.
- Change fonts. Different fonts use different amounts of ink.
- Print on both sides of the paper.
- Only print what is necessary. In your browser you can select specific pages that you want printed so you are not printing unwanted pages.
Even just enacting a few of these tips will help decrease your printing costs especially when done across a whole company. For more affordable replacement printer inks take a look at Independent Ink’s selection of digital printing inks. Printing sustainably saves energy, reduces paper use, cuts down on waste and improves your bottom line!